Friday, June 29, 2012

GSoC Week #5 & 6 - Onto the flow of working!

Hello ladies and gentlegeeks!

It's currently 7:15, and lack of sleep is quite a problem of mine. I should probably get it checked out, seeing as I fall asleep around 6am (typically) and wake up about 3pm (15:00). I don't find it to be very productive; which is also one reason why I haven't posted in a bit. I've been so tired and unmotivated to do absolutely anything! Since it is also Friday I decided to combine info from last week and this week into one post so, enjoy ;)

The current events I am going through don't help much either. Lucky me, oh lucky me!

On the bright side I have completely finished making the policy-parser for seorigin! Huzzah!

One thing I did notice though was that although it works well on Gentoo (even this I have SLIGHT reservations about) it had some "weirdness" on Ubuntu. Currently, it is being made simply for Gentoo purposes and once it is complete cross-platform compatibility will be worked on. Although, Sven says that it worked well for him on other distros aside from Gentoo. Which is a good thing =)

Since the completion of the policy-parser I have gathered quite a bit of knowledge on regular expressions, I am not so frightened of them anymore!

Onto the big boy of seorigin: The workflow component!

Regarding this, myself and "The Big Blue" were able to take the output from the parsed output of policy-parser and make a nice clean format then I went ahead and took that output for the workflow to take in and insert into their respective database tables! So, good news there.

Onto the real task though, the normalization of the information gathered. So, what is normalization? Is it when we make the database normal and a functioning member of society? Well....kinda. What it does is this: normalization is the process in which a database table is taken and organized to reduce redundancy and dependency. This usually involves taking information from a larger table and inserting it into smaller tables. I believe this process is going to be the most algorithmic intense section of the project. I look forward to it, hesitantly.

Well, I am done reading this out to myself in my daze of being awake and asleep!

With regards,
    Devan Franchini

No comments:

Post a Comment