Monday, June 18, 2012

GSoC Week #4 - Capture Plugin near complete!

Hello Ladies and Gentlegeeks!

Good news!

The capture plugin for seorigin is complete!


A big thanks to my Professor Anthony Basile for giving me a boost with the regexs (they aren't as evil as I thought they were...they are still evil), as well as a thanks to my mentor Sven Vermulen for helping me find the pattern in the *.te files as well as the all_interfaces.conf files.
 
Well, mostly complete. And for this reason:
The source record for a SELinux policy typically comes from the .te file of a package and the corresponding line.
The definition record on the other hand is a little more complex,  it derives from the all_interfaces.conf as well as *.spt files. The only issues faced when having these two separate file types is that the pattern may or may not be the same thing. I am in talks with one of my mentors, SwifT (Sven Vermulen), regarding this.

Aside from that the parsing of all_interfaces.conf files is complete as well as *.te files!

I'm pretty happy with this as well. I'll be moving onto the workflow component shortly and I already have a vague understanding of what I can do for this monster component of seorigin.

I personally believe the workflow component will be the most time consuming part of this project, it will require creating a database of the parsed records (I believe this will be done by writing commands for a SQLite database to a .sql file via python), it will be necessary to check if the database needs to be updated (I believe this will be done by a check to the parsed records, if the records are any different than before, we will need to update, if not then an update is obviously not necessary), and it needs to make sure the information being stored into the database is presentable for the query interface once compiled.

Although this sounds easy enough I don't believe anything regarding coding is ever as easy as it sounds for me, as of right now. I'm looking forward to this though and hope to have a final outcome that will not only be good, but useful as well :)

I hope everyone has a good week and each person does something productive with the time given to them!

With my regards,
    Devan Franchini (twitch153)

No comments:

Post a Comment