Tuesday, August 19, 2014

GSoC 2014, Week #13: All good things must come to an end

Hello everyone,

    As you might already know, this is the last post for my Google Summer of Code endeavour for this year. That said, that doesn't mean that this last week was spent doing nothing.

1.) Pull Requests, merged:

    All my previous pull requests for features that I wanted to add to layman have been merged with master. This includes the overlay-maker utility, squashfs-support, the portage sync plug-in, the ability to disable and enable a repository, modular overlay types, and more!

2.) Goodbye G-Common:

    G-common was an overlay type that was supported by Gentoo. It was decided that g-common was no longer going to be supported because no one (that we can tell) uses it. Typically you wouldn't see this type of thing happening, but g-common was replaced by g-sorcery. Which is the latest variant of that tool.

    I personally have no experience with either VCS, but I have spoken to the maintainer of g-sorcery.

3.) Modular Configuration types:

    Remember the RepoConfManager class? The class that handles all the repo configuration configuring has now been modified to support config type modules. So what does that mean? It means if a user has a configuration method that they want to support for layman they only need to add the module to layman's codebase and add the option to their layman.cfg.

    The same can be said for layman overlay types. If a user would like layman to support an overlay type that's not currently supported then all they need to do is add the module. If it works well, you could then submit a bug report and submit a patch with the new module and it might be added to layman on the next release.

4.) Documentation changes:

    With new features comes new documentation. This should always be the case, always. So users can be aware of the latest and greatest things that have been done to their newest release. In preparation for a new release, the man pages have been modified, the layman,cfg has been modified, and the version has been bumped to 2.2.0!

5.) Code refining:

    As I had said previously, you will never stop refining your code. I will bug squash till the day I die and I'll love every second of it too. After the documentation changes were made, the live ebuild (9999) for layman was updated as well. So users could now install (and test) the latest codebase for layman and return feedback to me to allow me to improve upon my code, or fix mistakes previously missed. A few bugs here and there have been found and squashed throughout the span of this week.

Goals for next week:
  • Go to School, get my education on.
  • Enjoy this last week of Summer.
    I would like to say thank you to everyone who assisted me throughout the span of this program and I thoroughly enjoyed myself working on layman, in an effort to contribute to the Gentoo community. As I said above, the layman-9999 ebuild is available for people to test, and I welcome all feedback!

With regards,
    Devan Franchini (twitch153)

No comments:

Post a Comment