Friday, July 25, 2014

GSoC 2014, Week #10: Testing, Testing, 4, 5, 6...

Welcome back to all my long term readers, and to anyone new...welcome! Hope you enjoy this blog as much as I enjoy writing for it.

Unbeknown to me previously, my mentor had surgery while he was in the hospital. I was actually quite shocked to hear that, considering his condition previously. I just wanted to take the time here to say that I hope he has a good, and painless recovery. In the very least, I hope he is able to fully recover.

This week, the following has been accomplished:

1.) More docstring migrations to test suite:

   If you've been keeping up with my posts you'll know that this week is the second week that I've been working on migrating from docstring tests in layman's code, to a full test suite.

   Good news is, this is my second week and I should be wrapping it up at a good number of 13 tests.

   Although this means little to your average user, the tests are a necessary part of assuring that the code works precisely as it says it does.

   The keyword of the day is quality assurance, or simply put: QA. QA is HUGE in the Gentoo Developer community. It's like the law of the land, metaphorically speaking. As I am part of the amazing Gentoo developer community I too firmly believe in QA and its necessity in our code. That doesn't mean I don't believe people make mistakes though. That's why these tests exist, to confirm that everything is working as it should.

2.) New layman release:

   To those of you who have been waiting for an official version of layman to be released that includes all the amazing work that has been done up until...roughly my fifth week or so working on it, well wait no more! layman is now officially at version 2.1.0 (OoooOOoooh AaaAaaAAaah).

   A handful of things had to be done previously to allow this release to be done, including uploading the source to sourceforge.com, as well as updating the CHANGES file to allow users to see what has been changed since the last release. Nothing spectacular or amazing, but still a very necessary part of the development cycle.

   It's almost neglectful to just push out a new version of something without telling people what's new about it. Although, this is just my own opinion on that.

   So fire up your CPU and get to installing layman-2.1.0, and be sure to give me some proper feedback on things I've done to make your life easier/harder. Especially if I made it harder due to some unforeseen bug in my code.

   I apologize about the short post, fingers crossed that next week I can give the post just a little bit more substance.

Goals for next week:
  • Begin making layman VCS types modular.
  • Polish any code already in layman's codebase.
As always, to anyone interested the source code and my commits can be found on git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/[1] or on github.com[2] on layman's gsoc2014 branch.

  [1]http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/layman.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/gsoc2014
  [2]https://github.com/twitch153/layman/tree/gsoc2014

With regards,
    Devan Franchini (twitch153)

No comments:

Post a Comment